domingo, 4 de noviembre de 2012

Grammar Reference - Past simple

Here you have some grammar tips that will help you to improve your English. Remember they can be very useful for your future (especially, for the test we will make later on)


PAST SIMPLE


The simple past expresses an action in the past taking place once, never or several times. It can also be used for actions taking place one after another or in the middle of another action.

No differences

Affirmative: I spoke
Negative: I did not speak.
Question: Did I speak?


For irregular verbs, use the past form (see list of irregular verbs, 2nd column). For regular verbs, just add “ed. 

Exceptions in spelling when adding -ed:
  • After a final e only add d. I.e: Love - loved.
  • Final consonant after a short, stressed vowel or l as final consonant after a vowel is doubled: I.e: Admit - admitted, travel - travelled.
  • Final y after a consonant becomes i. I.e.: Hurry - hurried

Use of simple past
 
  1. Action in the past taking place once, never or several times. Example: He visited his parents every weekend.
 
 2. Actions in the past taking place one after the other. Example: He came in, took off his coat and sat down.

3. Action in the past taking place in the middle of another action. Example: When I was having breakfast, the phone suddenly rang.

4. If sentences type II (If I talked, …).Example: If I had a lot of money, I would share it with you.

Signal words of past simple
Yesterday, two minutes ago, last friday, in 1990, the other day...

 


 

No hay comentarios:

Publicar un comentario